Happy Autumn! Fall has come upon us FAST this year here in Wisconsin. We were still enjoying warm summer temperatures through September, so it seemed like somewhat of a surprise when leaves started changing. Fall has always been a favorite time of year for me with the mild weather, gorgeous colors, and smell of bonfires in the air. It’s also the time we enter into the holiday season and start decorating!
I will admit, I’m a bit lazy when it comes to decorating for holidays. The thought of decorating for 3 different holidays within the span of 3 months just seems so overwhelming. My clients feel the same way. Having to do all the day-to-day and then also take down and put up new decorations during a busy time is tough. So instead, I decorate for ‘Fall’ to encompass both Halloween AND Thanksgiving! With a similar color palette, no one will notice that you only decorated once.
Here are our top 5 favorite accessories for easy fall decorating:
1. Fall Patterned Pillows – Pillows are a relatively inexpensive way to add some autumn patterns and theme to your space without overdoing it. Pumpkins, leaves, and acorns are all imagery that can take you all the way through Thanksgiving. Pillow covers like this one from Pottery Barn are an even better option since you can throw them right into the washing machine.
2. A Cozy Throw – Placed over the back of a sofa or coming out of a pretty basket in the corner, a throw helps warm up any room. It’s also great to pull over your lap on those chilly fall evenings! We love this one from Target.
3. Door Wreaths – I’ve always felt that a first impression starts before you even walk through the door. Hanging a wreath on the front door adds a bit of polish, and shows you care about the appearance of your space. This wreath from Etsy is a great size and has lots of texture and depth.
4. A Fireplace Garland – Your fireplace is typically a focal point in the room. Adding a garland will help bring in much needed texture and color. Using a garland that has some sort of natural elements to it like leaves or greenery will bring the outdoors in. This classic magnolia leaf garland from Pier 1 Imports could even be used through Christmas using a natural color palette.
5. Autumn Inspired Candle Rings or Candle Holders – We love using LED candles these days. Especially when the weather starts to turn cold, the warm glow helps you feel a little cozier, doesn’t it? Rings like these from World Market are a great addition to end tables. Or use a collection of them on a fireplace mantel or console table. During this time of year, we’ll also use natural wood candle holders which look good any time of year!
This list of items is a great place to get started. Holiday-specific items can be added, as these ideas above are just giving you a nicely decorated base. During October add some bats and black cats, and come November 1st switch them out for turkeys and cornucopias! The point is that you do not have to completely remove one holiday’s decorations to prepare for another, just replace a few things. Good luck and have fun!